Wood Working

Desk with Power

I was in need of a desk for my home. I had had large store-bought desks, but they were all not built to last or stand up to the abuse my kids can place on a piece of furniture. So it was time to make one to last.

Over the course of a few months, I would use my free time to think, design on the fly, and try to build a desk from scratch. I didn't have any real plans I was following other than what height I wanted, and what color to make it.

I started with some 2x4's and used pocket holes to attach them end to end.
 


I then cut the stringer and skirts to size and combined it all and painted it, but at this point I was very unhappy with the quality of the legs. They looked bad and the pocket holes were an eye sore. I realized that instead of pushing forward, I would take apart what I had and rebuild.

I bought a quarter sheet of half inch plywood, and cut the sheet into 3.5 inch strips. I laid the strips over each other, overlapping at the corners, and glued the strips together. There were no screws, nails, or holes of any kind to put this together. Once the glue was dried, I sanded them a bit to remove any excess glue and I attached the skirt and stringer to the legs. 

Around this time I had also purchased a 3/4 inch quarter sheet of plywood. This was almost the perfect size for the desk top. It only need a few inches cut off the end. I then rounded the corners off with some sandpaper and used some edge banding to seal the edge of the plywood. I then put on a few coats of dark stain.

I finished off the top with a few coats of polyurethane to give it a glossy finish. i did a dry fitting to make sure it all went together.


After the dry fitting, I hogged out a hold in the side of one of the legs, and painted them. I then installed a surge bar into the leg I had cut the hole in, and the desk was finished! I am very happy with how it turned out, and having a surge bar built into the side of the desk makes connecting different electronics very easy. The only changes I would make if I were to do it again would be to get a larger surge bar. Other than that, I consider this a success!.